A Pot Pourri, sometimes fragrant, sometimes not, of my physical travels and idiosyncratic contemplations, for the possible interest of family,friends and new friends and anyone who wants to "drop by for coffee and a chat" Contact me through comments at the end of each blog or at docpgm@btinternet.com. I look forward to talking with you. "Doc"

The Author

The Author
Rambling Doc

About Me

Near Skipton, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
63 year old, partially retired General Practitioner. Strange "but works for us" relationship at home! Grown up family, now a double grandad. Rides motorcycle, wanders about a lot, and paints and draws a bit.

Friday 10 August 2007

Still alive and no problems...sorry for delay in updates

I am so sorry that I have not posted anything since being in Indiana. I have not fallen off or anything dreadful, well I have, but not dreadful...will tell you later....NO PROBLEMS AND ALL IS OK. I have just been travelling and visiting so hard and fast and been in areas or campsites where I have had no internet reception. I have been exhausted by the time the tent was up and it has usually been dark. The trip is going to be longer than I had estimated, I have just completed 5,000 miles since leaving home, and only 260 of those were in the UK! Bottom is holding up well!

I am now in Billings, Montana, waiting for Wife to arrive for two weeks from 14th. (She has a horrendous trip to do from Manchester to JFK, New York, then to Chicago, then to Salt Lake City,Utah and finally a pedallo flight to Billings. It will take her some 20 hours overall.) Two weeks on the pillion is about all she can take, and I can't blame her for that; the longer I am doing this, the more I realise the magnitude of the task...especially across the Plains, which are hot, dry and endless.

I am in a motel tonight, exhausted after a long hard ride from Sturgis in South Dakota, and very hot. I shall relax for the next few days now and do some more writing.

Picture is me crossing the prairies of Wyoming. Face is distorted by wind at 65m.p.h. rather than by pain or any other discomfort! Luggage has not fallen off....I got a trailer in Sturgis as it was all getting too heavy and cumbersome to manage, and then my top bag split. It tows fantastically well and has given me real freedom on the bike again. It is what the Americans would describe as "ah-sum". ( Incidentally, for those of you who inspect the photos closely, I have not developed a a left breast...it is distorted by a shadow from my left sleeve!)

Thank you so much to all of you who have taken the trouble to read this blog and to those who have sent me such friendly and supportive e-mails. It is a strong encouragement to continue, even though I want to keep a log of events anyway for myself to remember this fantastic adventure. Keep them coming. I usually can get to an internet connection about once a week and I do reply.

There will be a couple more blogs for you soon, probably on Sunday and more next week, but then I shall be quiet again for 2 weeks as I don't want to spoil the trip for Wife while she is travelling with me. Writing is a bit of a solitary sport!

I am now 7 hours behind UK summer time, having crossed into "Rockie Mountain time last Friday, so when I say Sunday, you may not see them til Monday if you are reading this in the UK.

To my new US friends, thank you for your hospitality and friendship. I hope you won't find my opinions too offensive, but, if you do, talk to me about it rather than just going away!


Best wishes,
Doc

No comments: